Earth Day 2023 – Stop Junk Mail and Plant TreesApril 7, 2023
Earth Day 2023 Effort: Help us plant 1 million trees!
Earth Day 2023 takes place on April 22.
PaperKarma is launching its own Earth Day effort, via a dedicated In-App Event in the Apple AppStore.
For all April 2023, PaperKarma will plant trees on behalf of its users, as described below.
Our goal is to plant 1 million trees via reforestation projects.
Why reforestation? According to the National Academy of Sciences, forest restoration has the most global climate mitigation potential compared to all other natural climate solutions. Planting trees is also a simple solution that everyone can get behind.
How does PaperKarma’s Earth Day 2023 effort work?
PaperKarma pledges to plant a tree – paid for from its own revenue – for every user that makes four (4) opt-out requests during April, “Earth Month”. This includes existing and new users. No purchase is necessary.
Additionally, for any user that opts into a new plan or upgrades this April, we will plant a tree for each month of service they purchase. This means:
- Monthly plan = 1 tree planted
- 6 month plan = 6 trees planted
- Yearly plan = 12 trees planted
- Lifetime plan = 20 trees planted (we had to come up with something here)
Finally, we will also reward social sharing of our initiative from directly within our app.
Where will your trees be planted? Worldwide!
Trees will be planted in partnership with the Eden Reforestation Projects, an acclaimed, audited pioneer of tree restoration projects across the globe.
Eden has planted neary 1 billion trees in damaged and depleted forest lands. Its active planting projects we will support are located in:
PaperKarma’s contribution to the Eden Project is calculated and submitted at the conclusion of the Earth Day Effort.
Within our app, we also provide links out to #TeamTrees – a nonprofit created in 2019 by the massive YouTube influencer Mr. Beast, which has crowdsourced donations to plant 24+ million trees in partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation.
We provide these links for the convenience of PaperKarma users who may wish to donate independently to an acclaimed project with current planting locations in the United States (on a tax deductible basis). PaperKarma receives no proceeds from your out-of-app donations to third parties.
Earth Day Effort: Availability & Result Tracking
We are pleased to launch our Earth Day effort via a dedicated In-App Event for our iOS app.
This unique In-App Event tracks your junk mail opt-out submissions, social shares and purchases to tabulate the number of trees we will plant on your behalf.
Not only will you stop the nuisance and paper waste of junk mail printed in your name, but your activity and subscription status will also make the world a little greener. In aggregate, we hope a lot greener!
Earth Day Effort: Limitations
As a small company, we designed our Earth Day Effort based off our immediate capabilities. We hope we can make a tremendous impact with your help. Let’s plant 1 million trees together!
Yet, we need to establish some ground rules. We’ve seen time and again that good intentions are not always enough …
- PaperKarma will cap the number of tree plantings it finances via opt-outs and social shares to 100,000 trees via the Eden Project.
- PaperKarma will not cap the number of tree plantings it finances from new subscription purchases. This is the main way for our initiative to achieve, overachieve and finance our goal.
- “New subscriptions” is a term that does not include – and trees will not be planted for – plan downgrades. We will plant trees for plan upgrades.
- Trees will not be planted for refunded purchases. We will withhold a portion of PaperKarma revenue earmarked for financing trees for 90 days following expiration of the Earth Day Effort, to mitigate potential refund fraud.
- PaperKarma reserves the right to disqualify any account suspected of submitting inauthentic or duplicate opt out requests to achieve a tree planting bonus.